Friday, February 17, 2012

It Was Twenty Years Ago Today…

Baby day. Off to the hospital to be delivered via C-section of our 3rd child.
After two boys I was hoping for a girl. My husband wasn’t talking. He had lived through the previous 2 C-sections of which I had little or no memory and he knew what he was facing.

It was the Winter Olympics and we settled into our room to watch and wait until surgery where they put me under general anesthesia and I went to sleep.

I woke up (if it can be called waking)  to a voice saying “Wake up! Don’t you want to see your baby?”

And I squeezed my eyes shut and jutted out my jaw and thought, “No. Because I just know it will be another boy.”

But one is weak-willed under anesthesia, and eventually my jaw unjuttted and my eyes opened and I looked at my baby boy and fell totally and utterly and forever in love.

Since then my eyes have squeezed shut on numerous occasions (‘Oh no. NOW what?)

And my jaw has jutted (‘Oh no you won’t!).

And I still remember the question I asked myself when I opened my eyes and looked at baby boy number three. “How could I ever have wanted you to be anything else?’ 






9 comments:

Suef said...

Now I'm choking up! Happy Birthday to Kaleb....So glad he is here too!

Tammy said...

Happy birthday to your son, Anita!

You just took me down memory lane. On the last night of the Olympics twenty years ago, I was having labor twinges. Because my previous baby had come so quickly, the doctor had told me very specifically not to tarry but I wanted to wait until the Olympic closing was done. It turned out not to be a problem because this labor tarried until morning and I distinctly remember telling my husband to please turn off The Price is Right since I was in transition.

Funny, I too was hoping for a girl and got another boy.....

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Lori Lipsky said...

It's the week of #3 for you, Prude. Juror #3, then ex-juror #3 and now #3 son. Of course, he's the best of the threes.

I guess I've known your #3 son (and you) for almost 15 years now, because I remember when he came to FLAME's choir as a not-so-litte Kindergartener and I've loved him ever since.

Happy birthday to Kaleb and congratulations to you, Mom.

Susan said...

Wonderful post, Anita. Happy birthday Kaleb. When I was pregnant with my third son, I wanted it to be a boy, because I felt I "knew" how to do boys, and I wouldn't know what to do with a girl. How silly.

bethBA said...

Happy day of birth memories to you!

(Because females were so prevalent in both my and my husband's families, I was sure my second - and last - child would be another girl. I was in such shock when told it was a boy that I said "Are you sure??")

The Prude said...

So Tammy, we each have a dearly beloved 20-ish son- think being born around the Olympics contributed to their athleticism? And in your son's case- thriftiness?:)

Lori- also 3 years since Kirk and Mikaela got engaged!

Sue F and Susan, you are my sisters in the My Three Sons world!

Beth, I would have loved to see the doctor's face when you asked if he was sure it was a boy!

Cheryl said...

Hey Anita,
They grow so fast and are cute all the way. I especially like the tp photo. cheryl

Joanie said...

Congratulations!

Tammy said...

Yes indeed, Anita! This particular son was born muscular, thrifty, and with good teeth :-) He is organized and probably my most focused kid once he has his mind made up to do something.

Blessings,
Tammy