Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Breakfast with the Prude

One reason I don’t have a cooking blog is because I can’t really cook.
Another is that I am too lazy to type out recipes, and downright indolent when it comes to taking step-by-step photos of my cooking processes.

But yesterday my husband asked me to make Amish Baked Oatmeal for breakfast.
It made him so happy that I wanted to share the joy. (The sloth is rearing its ugly head again: I may have already posted this recipe but it is too much trouble to go back and check.)

Here is the family cookbook. 

Please note my turkey salt and pepper shakers in the background
I love my family cookbooks.

Here is the recipe.

I love this recipe. Can you tell? 
(On a side note, my mother-in-law’s cookbooks never have spots. She is not lazy. She keeps her cookbook separated from her messy work surface by several feet and trots back and forth. Sometimes it is almost too much trouble for me to move the bowl from off the recipe to check it.)

Here is the oatmeal. I put the little cream pitcher in the photo for picturesque effect and then realized you can tell it is empty. Just pretend I already poured the milk into the bowl.

You will like this. Really. Two caveats: It doesn’t really feed 4, unless two of you are oat-phobic. And make sure your milk is hot when you pour it on the oatmeal.
I also made molasses cookies yesterday.
AND Creamy Bratwurst Stew. But before I could get a photo my husband
polished it off.



Maybe I’ll share those recipes another day.
For now it’s best to keep your expectations low.
If I start over-achieving, you’ll start expecting spot-free recipes.
Where will it end?
I’ll tell you where: step-by-step photos.

2 comments:

Lori Lipsky said...

I'm sure you are a fine cook in the ways that really count. You raised three boys and they always looked healthy and well fed.

A well used recipe with spots is a sign of love, you know, and (my mom says that) love is the most important ingredient when you cook.

Very delightful post, Prude.

Sue Vick Finley said...

So, so funny. I love enjoying your gift! I will try this recipe...someday.